Man killed in Central Queensland coal mine

Jul 08 2019

 It is understood the man was working in the pit when the accident happened

 
Police and emergency services were called to the Baralaba North coal mine in the Bowen Basin just after 2:00am on Sunday., however the 27-year-old man was declared dead at the scene.
 
It is believed the employee was working in an area of the pit when the accident occurred, but both the police and ambulance services are refusing to release details about how it happened.
 
It was the second mining incident in the region in six hours.
 
A man in his 50s suffered back and spinal injuries in a fall at the Collinsville open-cut coal mine at about 8:00am on Sunday.
 
Fourth mining death in six months
There have been four fatal mining incidents in Queensland in the past six months — six mining and quarry deaths in the past 12 months.
 
Last month, a Mackay father was killed when a wall collapsed while he was operating a digger at the Middlemount open-cut coal mine, north-west of Rockhampton.
 
A grader driver died in an underground collision at a Moranbah mine in February, and a fourth worker died in a dozer rollover on New Year's Eve at a mine near Dysart.
 
In a statement, Mines Minister Anthony Lynham said he was "extremely distressed and concerned" by the number of recent deaths.
 
"The loss of a life in any workplace at any time is not acceptable," he said.
 
"Families should be able to expect that when their loved ones depart for work that they return safe.
 
"I will be following up on discussions held last week by meeting with representatives of the mining industry … as a matter of urgency.
 
"I will be making it absolutely clear that this situation is unacceptable and requires action."
 
Mr Lynham said he would make further announcements on what action would be taken by his Government, after he considered the outcomes from the meeting.
 
Queensland Resources Council chief executive Ian Macfarlane said in a statement the industry was working on measures for a "safety reset" in light of the recent tragedies.
 
"No death on a mine site is acceptable," he said.
 
"The resources sector has made constant improvements in its safety record over the last 20 years, but we cannot become complacent."
 
Source:ABC News

Last changed: Jul 08 2019 at 9:10 AM

Back