Man dead after electrical incident

Feb 12 2019

 A man has died and a second man has received serious burns after an incident understood to involve live electrical wires at a worksite in Sydney's west.

 
Emergency services were called to Regent Crescent, Moorebank, about 2pm to reports that a man had been electrocuted while working on the roof of a factory.
 
Inspector Andy Cullen of NSW Ambulance said that, when paramedics arrived, they found a total of five patients on the roof, one of whom was unconscious.
 
"Four of those patients were extricated in a timely manner," he said. "One of those was transported to hospital with lower leg burns in a serious but stable condition."
 
The other three were assessed by paramedics at the scene before being released, he said.
 
The fifth man, aged 24, was unable to be freed from the roof until the electricity to the building was turned off, as the metal roof had become electrified.
 
"It was a challenging situation to reach the final patient who was still up on the roof," Inspector Cullen said.
 
"We worked very closely with Fire and Rescue NSW and NSW Police to formulate a plan to make contact with that patient."
 
Eventually, he said, Fire and Rescue NSW and special operations paramedics "made contact with that patient, and the patient was found to be unfortunately deceased".
 
Inspector Cullen said he had been told the patient "was holding some kind of metal pole in his hand, and he’s turned and inadvertently touched some live wires adjacent to the rear of the building".
 
Police are now investigating the circumstances that led to the incident and will prepare a report for the coroner.
 
A crime scene has been established, and SafeWork NSW officers are assisting with inquiries.
 
 
Source: Sydney Morning Herald

Last changed: Feb 12 2019 at 9:27 AM

Back