Meat worker slashed with knife

Posted on 11/12/2018, 10:46 PM by Gary Willcox
Read More / Less

 A 25-year-old international meat worker has been charged with assault-related offences after an incident involving a knife at the Warrnambool abattoir on Tuesday morning.

 
Detective Senior Constable Wayne Ryan, of the Warrnambool police crime investigation unit, said there was an incident at a Midfield meat works boning room at 6.20am, during which a 29-year-old man suffered a slash wound to his face.
 
The alleged victim, who is also an international meat worker, was taken to the Warrnambool Base Hospital, where he was assessed, treated and discharged.
 
He is expected to undergo plastic surgery on Wednesday to help repair the wound.
 
Detective Senior Constable Ryan said the 25-year-old abattoir worker was arrested, interviewed and charged with recklessly causing injury and assault with a weapon.
 
The man, who is also an international on a student visa and lives in Warrnambool, made no comment during his police interview.
 
He was then released on bail, with strict conditions, to appear in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court on February 18 next year.
 
Detective Senior Constable Wayne Ryan, of the Warrnambool police crime investigation unit, said the incident happened in a boning room and involved the victim and a 25-year-old international on a student visa.
 
The incident happened and co-workers stepped in, before an ambulance was called and police attended.
 
"The injured man, also believed to be an international, was taken to the Warrnambool Base Hospital for assessment and treatment," he said.
 
"He has a significant injury after being slashed to the face."
 
"We are waiting for interpretive services before we conduct an interview with the 25-year-old," he said.
 
 
The victim is in a stable condition in the Warrnambool Base Hospital.
 
Source: Warrnambool Standard

Farm fined $200,000

Posted on 05/12/2018, 2:51 AM by Gary Willcox
Read More / Less

 A North Queensland agriculture farm has been fined $200,000 in the Cairns Magistrate Court for the electrocution of an overseas worker in 2016.

 
The 457 Visa worker aged in his 20s was operating a cherry-picker to trim avocado trees when he died after the pruning tool he was using came too close to the 22,000 volt lines.
 
Magistrate Kevin Priestly delivered the findings on Friday, making mention of the fact that workers had been given verbal reminders about the powerlines prior to the incident, but this was deemed inadequate, and more suitable safety measures should have been in place.
 
Magistrate Priestly said there were simple steps which should have been taken to prevent the death, given the potentially catastrophic risks. These steps could have included planting the trees well away from the three-metre powerline exclusion zone.
 
The defendant was fined $200,000 plus $1596.15 in costs, with no conviction recorded. During sentencing, the company’s early guilty plea, its great safety record and the community’s support was taken into account.
 
Head of Queensland’s Electrical Safety Office, Victoria Thomson, said rural property owners must always remember where powerlines are located on their property, taking into account the length, breadth and reach of equipment which can come too close.
 
“It’s imperative that workers and their equipment stay well out of powerline exclusion zones – three metres in all directions from lower voltage lines, and six metres for high voltage – and they always work away and not towards powerlines,” Ms Thomson said.
 
“You must make sure everyone on your property knows where powerlines are, and that equipment operators and workers are suitably trained and competent to work around powerlines in a way that is electrically safe.”
 
The Electrical Safety Office advises that the best way to control the risk of contacting powerlines is to avoid working underneath or near them. Other controls to consider include relocating live electric lines away from work area, where feasible, or having the line de-energised while work is being done.
 
In some locations you can make powerlines more visible by having line markers or flags installed and using ground markers and warning signs to make your workers more aware of the risk. The use of safety observers or spotters will also help avoid plant and equipment crossing into the exclusion zone.
 
Source: WorkCover Qld

Three workers crushed on Gold Coast

Posted on 05/12/2018, 2:44 AM by Gary Willcox
Read More / Less

 Three men have been crushed in a workplace accident at the site of the $1 billion high-rise Jewel development on the Gold Coast.

 
The CFMEU said the accident happened about 8:45am when a steel tray carrying electrical cables collapsed.
 
Queensland Ambulance's Gavin Fuller said the three men, aged 27 and 28, were working in a lower car park of the building when the cabling conduit fell two-and-a-half metres onto them.
 
"One of the workers was trapped. His co-workers have been able to remove that [the conduit], which was quite good considering it weighs about 80 kilograms per metre so it certainly minimised his injuries," he said.
 
"The other two workers were struck by it but not trapped underneath it."
 
Mr Fuller said one of the workers likely had a fractured pelvis, while another had a leg and shoulder injury.
 
The third man also had a shoulder injury, he said.
 
All three have been taken to Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.
 
"Three workers were working below a bit of electrical cable tray carrying a fair bit of weight … big thick electrical cables … and the tray has given way where the dyna bolts go into the wall and it has crushed three workers," he said.
 
He said workers were concerned because similar cabling would likely be throughout the development.
 
"They are probably going to have to check all of that to make sure that … there are no problems with the bolts that were holding up that tray, because this is a very serious incident," Mr Vink said.
 
Source: ABC News

Car Dealership fire

Posted on 21/11/2018, 12:27 AM by Gary Willcox
Read More / Less

 One person has been taken to hospital after a fire broke out at a car dealership.

 
Two vehicles inside a workshop at a business on Adelaide St, Maryborough caught fire about noon on Tuesday.
 
Emergency services attend a fire in Maryborough on November 20.
 
A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said the male patient suffered facial burns.
 
He was in a a stable condition when taken to Hervey Bay Hospital. 
 
Emergency services including police, firefighters and paramedics attended the workplace accident.
 
Adelaide St has reopened to normal traffic.
 
Maryborough Fire Station officer Bradley Spencer said pressure hoses and foam were used to extinguish the fire, which was out by about 12.20pm. 
 
The blaze coming from the two lit cars, which were parked in a workshop, caused damage to the roof.
 
Adelaide St, Maryborough closed at a section while emergency services attend to a fire at a car dealership.
 
 
The Chronicle understands that smoke spread into other areas of the business. 
 
Fighterfighters are currently conducting safety checks inside the premises. 
 
Source: Fraser Coast Chronical

Machinery Accident

Posted on 14/11/2018, 10:44 PM by Administrator

A man has been airlifted to the Rockhampton Base Hospital after his arm got caught in farm machinery on Monday morning. Emergency crews were called at 9:30AM.

Read More / Less

A man has been airlifted to the Rockhampton Base Hospital after his arm got caught in farm machinery on Monday morning. Emergency crews were called at 9:30AM.

The RACQ Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service travelled to the location approximately 90kms south of Rockhampton where a patient in their late 30’s was suffering a serious injury.

They were working on a property when they accidentally came into contact with a piece of farming equipment, causing significant damage to their arm.

QAS was first on scene along with 2 nurses who treated and stabilised the patient prior to the arrival of the Rescue 300 crew and on board medical team. The patient was further stabilised before being airlifted.

Within 20 minutes of lifting from the scene, CapRescue arrived at the Rockhampton Base Hospital where the patient was admitted for immediate further medical attention.

Source: 4CC Central Queensland

Business fined after apprentice suffered serious injury

Posted on 14/11/2018, 10:48 PM by Administrator

A Cairns sand and gravel business has been fined $125,000 after one of its apprentices suffered a serious work injury last year. The company was sentenced for failing to ensure the health and safety of a worker, exposing an individual to a risk of death or serious injury.

Read More / Less

A Cairns sand and gravel business has been fined $125,000 after one of its apprentices suffered a serious work injury last year.

After pleading guilty, the company was sentenced in the Cairns Magistrates Court under Section 32 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 for failing to ensure the health and safety of a worker, exposing an individual to a risk of death or serious injury.

On 22 May 2017, a fourth year apprentice diesel fitter employed by the business and another apprentice were working on an electrical fault in the engine of a backhoe under the supervision of an experienced fitter/mechanic.

A Workplace Health and Safety Queensland investigation found the backhoe was in poor mechanical condition, the rear cabin window missing, and the roll over protection was badly rusted.

At the time of the incident, the experienced mechanic was under the backhoe, while the apprentice was in the cabin. Without informing his supervisor, the apprentice stepped out of the vehicle and stood behind the cabin. The supervisor then attempted to jump start the engine by shorting the motor solenoid with a screwdriver.

While the supervisor was doing this, the apprentice was instructed to turn the ignition switch, which he did by leaning in through the frame where the rear window is usually positioned. When the engine started, the hydraulic arm of the hoe (located at the rear of the vehicle) slewed to the left, pinning the young man’s leg between the boom and the body of the vehicle.

The apprentice suffered severe leg injuries requiring amputation of the left leg below the knee. He continues to experience ongoing medical complications and psychological injury.

At the sentence hearing last Friday, Magistrate Kevin Priestley rejected a defence submission that the injuries wouldn’t have been sustained if the young worker hadn’t been standing where he was.

Magistrate Priestley found the backhoe was in such poor condition it should not have been in service at all, and that was the sole cause of the incident.

His Honour took into account it was the defendant’s first offence. He also noted the defendant had co-operated with the investigation, entered any early guilty plea, expressed remorse, and was generally a good corporate citizen.

The Cairns-based company was fined $125,000 and ordered to pay professional and court costs of almost $1,600. No conviction was recorded.

Source: WorkSafe Qld

Company charged

Posted on 14/11/2018, 10:53 PM by Administrator

A Gippsland quarry operator has been charged with two contraventions of the OHS Act after a contractor died when a tip wall collapsed and engulfed her truck.

Read More / Less

A Gippsland quarry operator has been charged with two contraventions of the OHS Act after a contractor died when a tip wall collapsed and engulfed her truck.

MQG Sand & Soil Pty Ltd has been charged with:

  • Contravening section 21 of the OHS Act when it failed to provide, as far as reasonably practicable, a working environment that was safe and without risk to health.
  • Contravening section 26 of the OHS Act when it failed to ensure the means of entering and exiting the workplace were safe and without risk to health.

The charges follow a WorkSafe investigation into the incident at MQG Sand & Soil’s Nyora site in South Gippsland in March 2016.

The 30-year-old truck driver was operating a dump truck which was releasing a load of overburden into a tip at the north-east corner of the quarry site when the incident occurred.

WorkSafe will allege the company failed to implement control measures before constructing a tip for overburden by not taking a cautious approach, obtaining geotechnical engineering advice or implementing an appropriate dump design.

The case has been listed for a filing hearing in the Korumburra Magistrates’ Court on September 20.

Source: WorkSafe Victoria

Builder fined $70,000

Posted on 06/09/2018, 10:35 AM by Gary Willcox
Read More / Less

 A building group has been convicted and fined $70,000, and ordered to pay $5577 in costs, after a worker received serious injuries in a fall from a two-storey house in Warrnambool.

 
Concord Builders Group Pty Ltd was found guilty on Friday of two contraventions of the OHS Act for failing to ensure it provided, as far as reasonably practicable, a workplace that was safe and without risk to health.
 
The Warrnambool Magistrates’ Court heard that two Concord Builders Group employees were installing solar panels on the roof of the property in January 2017 when one fell five metres onto the front lawn.
 
The worker received broken ribs and neck injuries.
 
A WorkSafe investigation found there was no evidence of fall protection being used for work within two metres of the roof edge, and no Safe Work Method Statement was in place for the high risk work.
 
The court ruling follows the deaths of two workers from falls at separate residential construction sites in August.
 
A man in his 30s died when he fell into a deep trench at a housing estate at Wallan on August 16, and a man in his 40s died in hospital after falling through a stair void at a housing construction site at Rosebud on August 18.
 
WorkSafe Acting Director of Health and Safety Paul Fowler said the organisation would continue to actively pursue employers who ignored the risks of falls from height.
 
“As we have seen recently and consistently over a number of years, the risk of falls on construction sites is real, and the consequences are both heartbreaking and life-altering,” Mr Fowler said.
 
“This fine and conviction should serve as a warning to all employers that failing to protect workers who are required to operate at height is simply inexcusable.”
 
Source: WorkSafe Victoria

Charges laid against a Government Dept.

Posted on 15/08/2018, 1:04 AM by Gary Willcox
Read More / Less

 WorkSafe Victoria has filed charges against a government department over occupational violence in an aged care facility.

 
The state’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) was charged with two contraventions of section 23 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act for allegedly failing to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, that persons other than their employees were not exposed to risks to their health and safety.
 
Additionally, three companies have been charged under section 21 of the OHS Act for allegedly failing to provide a safe working environment by failing to maintain systems of work that were, so far as reasonably practicable, safe and without risk to health. They are:
 
Essential Recruitment and Personnel Solutions Pty Ltd (two charges)
Victorian Person Centred Services Limited (three charges)
Transitions Community Care Solutions Pty Ltd (one charge)
An employee of one of the companies has also been charged under section 25 of the OHS Act for allegedly failing to take reasonable care for the health and safety of persons who may be affected by their acts and omissions at a workplace.
 
The incidents, which relate to occupational violence, took place between January and August 2016.
 
Charges were filed this week in the Magistrates’ Court.
 
Sources: CareerSpot

Businessman fined $60,000

Posted on 26/07/2018, 11:46 PM by Gary Willcox
Read More / Less

 AN Auburn businessman has been fined $60,000 after a man fell to his death from a ladder in an accident.

 
The case comes amid a safety blitz on employers not protecting their workers from the risk of falling from heights, following a tripling of fall incidents in the past five years.
 
Ru Dong Li, 53, was convicted and and fined earlier this month when a 58 year old man died in Sydney’s west after falling more than 2.4 metres from a ladder while installing security cameras.
 
The Sydney District Court heard that Li did not trained nor supervise the worker, nor had hired a more safer mobile scaffolding system at a cost of just $124 a day.
 
Better Regulation Minister Matt Kean said the 2016 incident showed that falls can happen in a split second, and have tragic consequences if safety procedures are not followed.
 
“Mr Li had been engaged to install seven security cameras at a mechanical repair shop in Auburn, and hired a worker on a casual basis to assist,” Mr Kean said.
 
“He left the worker on his own, more than two meters up a ladder, while setting up a second ladder, but when he returned the worker was lying unconscious on the floor.
 
“This poor man sustained a broken jaw, injuries to his shoulder and hip, and severe head injuries in the fall. He passed away in hospital the following day.
 
“It was a tragic accident, but one that could have been avoided.”
 
WorkSafe introduced new on-the-spot fines for employers late last year for employers not protecting their workers from the risk of falling from heights.
 
Last year alone the watchdog attended 234 incidents involving falls from heights, with more than half these incidents occurred in the construction industry.
 
Eight workers have been killed in NSW during 2017, as a result of a fall from height.
 
Mr Kean said SafeWork NSW is now conducting a 12-month safety blitz after statistics revealed that falls from heights had more than tripled in the last five years.
 
“SafeWork will continue to target workplaces that don’t have the required safety procedures in place to protect workers,” Mr Kean said.
 
“We want to do everything we can to ensure a tragedy like this doesn’t happen again.”
 
Source: The Daily Telegraph